Tuesday, August 19, 2014

#Vision Problems & Children with #SpecialHealth Care Needs

from National Center for Family / Professional Partnerships 

Mother , father and 2 daughtersChildren with special needs, particularly those with Cerebral Palsy and Down Syndrome, are at a higher risk of visual and eye health problems than their peers. These children may receive various interventions through their schools' systems including occupational, physical, and/or speech therapy. However, in most cases, they do not receive a comprehensive eye and vision examination.

If your child with special needs has a vision problem, a pediatric eye care provider (pediatric ophthalmologist or pediatric optometrist) may provide the best help. Pediatric eye care providers are doctors who specialize in the eye care of children. All ophthalmologists and optometrists have training in children's eye problems, but the pediatric providers have additional experience and expertise in examining children and the greatest knowledge of possible conditions that affect the pediatric patient. Find a pediatric provider on the  American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus website or the American Optometric Association website.  

teacher of students with visual impairments  may also be helpful.   This is a professional who has expertise in how visual impairment affect your child's development and learning, as well as the strategies and tools that can help your child learn about the world, perform everyday activities, and participate in the general curriculum and other activities in school.

Learn more:

No comments: