Today, Republicans in Congress introduced a budget resolution that includes instructions to repeal major parts of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This is the first step in the process to repeal and delay, taking health care coverage away from 30 million, and consumer protections from millions more. We must act now to educate our members of Congress and the public about the devastating effects of this plan.
As a reminder, today’s introduction of the budget resolution kicks off a plan to use the budget reconciliation process to repeal key provisions of the ACA. Budget reconciliation only requires a simple majority to pass the Senate but limits allowable provisions to those with a direct budgetary impact. After debate and passage of this resolution, Congress will quickly begin consideration of the budget reconciliation proposal. We will keep you updated throughout the process.
In response to this new development, we need to generate as much noise as possible through earned media, social media, and public visibility events. Community Catalyst has put together several resources to help you enhance your efforts and deliver a unified message with partners across the country. While all of these resources may not apply to you or the work that you do we hope you’ll find some of this useful in our efforts to present a unified message about the devastating impact of repealing the Affordable Care Act.
- Talking Points: These general talking points are designed for you to tweak based on your political environment, your intended audience, and your senator’s current stance on the ACA. For example, if you are speaking with local media and you live in a Republican-leaning state with a Democratic senator who has vocally supported the ACA, you can use these points to underscore the negative impact of repeal while adding in language about how grateful consumers are to Senator XX for their support. On the other hand, if you are sending an action alert to your grassroots network and your senator has advocated for the repeal of the ACA, you can emphasize the points that hold Congress accountable for the recklessness of this plan.
- Social Media Content: Use these sample posts, What’s At Stake infographic, and Take Action infographic to spread the word on your social media channels and get people to take action.
- Organizational Statement: Community Catalyst issued a statement regarding today’s introduction. Please feel free to use ours as a sample, or use this template press statement, which can be tailored to your own environment.
- Call-in Number: Send along an action alert to your grassroots network asking people to call their senators at (866) 426 2631. This call-in number is set up by our partners at SEIU and will connect consumers directly to their senators’ offices and provide talking points.
- Save the Date: Members of Congress and partner organizations across the country are planning public events for , during Martin Luther King Jr Day weekend. As more information becomes available, we will be sure to let you know so you can plug in to these efforts.